[COM] Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Archer
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: #U/C: Southern Expressway duplication | $445m | 22km

#376 Post by Archer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:09 pm

It's Seems Tuesday's Controlled Explosions along the Darlington Escarpment were not quite so "Controlled".

Rock from the blasting has come down and pushed the concrete and fencing safety barriers into the closest lane of the expressway. As a result this lane is now closed to traffic until late Sunday afternoon, with an Expressway closure now scheduled for 9:30 - 3:30 on Thursday (13/9/2012). I'm assuming this closure was not originally planned and is a result of works needed to clear rock from the Expressway and re-align the barriers.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#377 Post by neoballmon » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:27 pm

I saw this today when I was coming home. I couldn't help but laugh when I came up the hill and saw the barriers pushed out! Can't be too bad though, shows they're really getting somewhere with the blastings.
But I can only imagine it would be turning into a nightmare up there now though with only 2 lanes open!
They also had a lane closed at the Seacombe bridge and were removing more of the wall. But I'd assume this is open again now.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#378 Post by 85trainfan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:15 pm

One of the blast a couple of weeks ago, also pushed massive rocks up against the barrier, and it looked like the barrier had just been pushed back into place (marks on the rd surface indicated this).
You would think they would just remove them on the day of the blast before re-opening the road
An interstate relative laughed so hard today when i explained why they were doing the duplication, and how long some bridges were closed. He did like the idea that it only took us 45mins to get from Gepps cross to Morphett Vale thou.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#379 Post by Archer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:03 am

Took a video coming down the Expressway this morning to show the lane closure where the rocks from the blasting earlier this week pushed the barrier into the left lane. It was a bit of a first attempt experiment so the quality is not great, I might look at getting a better quality one next week, but here it is anyway:

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#380 Post by neoballmon » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:42 pm

Archer wrote:Took a video coming down the Expressway this morning to show the lane closure where the rocks from the blasting earlier this week pushed the barrier into the left lane. It was a bit of a first attempt experiment so the quality is not great, I might look at getting a better quality one next week, but here it is anyway:
Thanks for the video, haven't seen it from the northbound perspective. As for quality, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Youtube will just drop the quality anyway if you post anything, unless you actually make it a HD video.

Went down this afternoon. Seems like it was easier for them to move the lanes out yet again, rather than clear out the rocks and push the barrier back. Now traffic is driving through the whole emergency stopping lane, and we're just going right around where the pushed out barriers are. But the 3rd lane is still closed. I can see this happening again in a future blasting though. And they have no more room to move traffic over..

The expressway will now be closed from Saturday 6AM - Sunday 7PM this weekend for more work on the bridges. Supports are up at Beach Road, and they've completely removed the Seacome Road wall.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#381 Post by muzzamo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:59 am

Many of the currently under construction bridges have been delayed due to a steel fabricator going to administration.
Attachments
Letter to Stakeholders bridge delay.pdf
(371.07 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#382 Post by neoballmon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:26 pm

muzzamo wrote:Many of the currently under construction bridges have been delayed due to a steel fabricator going to administration.
Well these things happen, but I think the bridge closures are causing very minor inconvenience now anyway (with exception to Seacombe Road, as Sturt Road is extremely busy now). The detours aren't excessivly out of the way, and most would plan accordingly anyway. Beach Road seems to be managed quite well also.

I am surprised that no construction has been done on the Lander Road overpass though (as of a couple of weeks ago when I was last there). I thought that was why they were closing the road, as well as to let construction vehicles pass safely.

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#383 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:34 pm

Southern Expressway bridge beams delayed as steel fabricator RPG Australia folds

CONSTRUCTION work on five bridges being built as part of the Southern Expressway duplication will be delayed by up to six weeks.

Steel fabricator RPG Australia was subcontracted to make bridge beams for the State Government's $407 million expressway expansion.

But the Queensland company was put into voluntary administration this month and is unable to complete the beams.

Work on the Seacombe and O'Sullivan Beach road bridges will now be completed early next year - six weeks later than planned.

The State Government is reviewing the construction schedule for the other bridges, but it does not expect delays to the project's mid-2014 completion date.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6501844947

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#384 Post by Norman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks to AdelaideNow for rehashing a story that is a good few weeks old now.

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#385 Post by 85trainfan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:02 pm

Norman wrote:Thanks to AdelaideNow for rehashing a story that is a good few weeks old now.
About the Only talent AdelaideNow/ The Advertiser have :lol:

On a side note, A new workers compound is now in place on the Southern side of the Reynella entry/exit ready for the new Entry construction. Trucks are also using Flaxmil Rd now to exit the sites, with Traffic Control in attendance.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: U/C: Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

#386 Post by muzzamo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:37 pm

A milestone has been achieved on the Southern Expressway Duplication project with Lander Road expected to re-open on the afternoon of 30 November 2012, following the installation of concrete arches this week, to accommodate the duplicated expressway.

Please note that earthworks will continue in the area following the reopening of the road, with large trucks crossing Lander Road under traffic control and speed restrictions in place as required.

Following the re-opening of Lander Road the Coast to Vines Rail Trail will be closed under the expressway south of Lander Road to progress earthworks at this location. Pedestrian and cyclists will be detoured via Lander Road during this time.

The Department thanks the local community for their patience and understanding during the temporary closure of Lander Road.

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#387 Post by 85trainfan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:21 pm

With lander Rd re open, a lot less traffic on Young St :D . Works have started on the new entry ramp at Reynella, with a nice earth mound forming between the current Expressway lanes and South Rd.
O'sullivan Beach Road Bridge, still has the western wall in place, and crews were working on the New western supports.
Elizabeth Rd now has the new Central support in place, with the Temporary supports taken down.
(sorry about picture quality, Taken with an I Phone through a dirty windscreen :P )

The 3 Pedestrian Bridges south of beach Rd have now been taken down, and works to remove their Western supports now taking place. I can remember 2 of the Path's names but have forgotten the third.
First path heading North western Support ( Perry Path)
Third path north (Between Honeypot Rd and Beach Rd) (Poznan path). To the right of this Picture is where the New Southbound Entry ramp join the road.
Regards Jarrod

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#388 Post by Ben » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks for the pics.

I think the 3rd path name is the most memorable unless it's in a different area.... Sugarbush ;)

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#389 Post by Archer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:20 am

The Third Path is actually Peppermint Path. Sugarbush path is located between Sherriff's Road and Moore Road.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#390 Post by neoballmon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Just been looking through the duplication plans again, and I've just noticed at the Panalatinga interchange, they've removed Southbound access to Main South Road, and only Panalatinga can be accessed at the off ramp now. How did they successfully manage to sneak this one past? Although not as much as Panas, South Road generally gets high traffic from what I've seen, myself included... :cry:

I've always thought the new ramp was a little more south and allowed for this access to remain. Should have paid more attention to detail.

Here's the plans I'm basing this on (3MB each)
http://dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf ... h_2012.pdf
http://dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf ... h_2012.pdf