News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
bay transit
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport

#961 Post by bay transit » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:29 pm

Looks like the planned changes that were due to take place over the next few weeks have been put on hold-they have not been approved yet by the Minister.
This could have something to do with discussions still taking place on routes that could be transferred or swapped between Transfield Services and Torrens Transit!

bay transit
High Rise Poster!

#962 Post by bay transit » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:54 pm

Finally Passenger Transport Services Minister Chloe Fox has announced that as of May 12th,that 7 bus routes currently operated by Transfield Services will be transferred along with the required number of buses to Torrens Transit.
She has also announced a fine of over $181000 for it poor on time performance in the previous quarter.
The changeover will cost the Government an extra $2 million a year including adding 16 new buses.
Timetables will again be revised on a number of routes to allow improvements in on-time running.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#963 Post by muzzamo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:36 am

New timetables are up, although there is no summary of the changes as of yet. You need to search for your individual timetable to find the new one.

bay transit
High Rise Poster!

#964 Post by bay transit » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Summary is on the Adelaide Metro website both on service change page and also as a pdf download.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#965 Post by peas_and_corn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:57 pm

There seem to be timetable changes all time nowadays.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#966 Post by Tonsley213 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:33 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:There seem to be timetable changes all time nowadays.
This ensures that services can run on time. no point of running a bus service on a year old timetable, traffic changes.

People seem to just want to complain about everything.

Why do they even bother when you have idiots complaining when PT runs late, but when they try to fix it, you just complain about them making small time changes.

Well done Adelaidians. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Makes me want to :wallbash:

W****rs

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#967 Post by mattblack » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:19 pm

New 'New connections' edition out now.

http://dpti.sa.gov.au/newconnections

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: MetroCard System

#968 Post by Norman » Tue May 14, 2013 2:27 pm

As part of the MetroCard trial team, I just completed a survey about what would attract users more to public transport. The survey was heavy with questions about monthly and annual passes as well as discounted weekend fares, so there might be still a possiblity that this may be put in place :)

Vee
Legendary Member!

#969 Post by Vee » Wed May 15, 2013 10:21 am

Norman wrote:As part of the MetroCard trial team, I just completed a survey about what would attract users more to public transport. The survey was heavy with questions about monthly and annual passes as well as discounted weekend fares, so there might be still a possiblity that this may be put in place :)
Good to see consideration being given to different fare options.
Did it include the GPS tracking service for buses?
How close is this? Hopefully, a really good app. to use the service!

Discounted weekend fares makes sense - encourages more to consider using PT and if it worked, some routes/times might get increased frequency and encourage greater use??
I think the MetroCard service and introduction has been great. In comparison to what I read about the Myki system in Victoria, we have done well.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#970 Post by Norman » Wed May 15, 2013 11:09 am

GPS tracking will start in July AFAIK.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#971 Post by Brucetiki » Wed May 15, 2013 11:00 pm

Hopefully the discounted weekend fares, monthly and yearly passes come through.

Another thing I'd like to see is a capped daily rate on the Metrocard i.e. maximum you pay per day is the equivalent of 2 x 2 hour fares (as what happens with Myki currently).

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#972 Post by Brucetiki » Thu May 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Have jumped onto the Metrocard bandwagon and got myself one.

$5 for the card plus $5 for initial credit is a good buy-in. Touching on in pretty simple, and quick to process.

The only drawback is the set amount of $5 blocks to recharge? Why? Why can't people top up how much/little they want?

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#973 Post by muzzamo » Thu May 16, 2013 11:34 pm

Brucetiki wrote: The only drawback is the set amount of $5 blocks to recharge? Why? Why can't people top up how much/little they want?
Because it costs money to do this and is inefficient. If you are recharging $1 at a time you are wasting the shopkeepers time and money.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#974 Post by crawf » Fri May 17, 2013 8:55 am

I noticed while in South East Queensland recently, they are more relaxed into how much money you want to put on your GO card.

Plus
Off-peak is from 9am to 3.30pm, after 7pm weekdays until 3am the following day and all day weekends and state-wide Queensland gazetted public holidays.

go card users save 20% travelling during off-peak.

http://translink.com.au/tickets-and-far ... peak-times
This is what I would like to see introduced here in Adelaide, it could also attract more people to the city at night.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#975 Post by muzzamo » Fri May 17, 2013 9:07 am

crawf wrote: This is what I would like to see introduced here in Adelaide, it could also attract more people to the city at night.
I think the problem is the disconnect between the level of patronage and the cost to provide the service.

Interpeak services would be cheaper to run than evening services, since they represent extended morning/evening shifts for the drivers and are often eg an empty bus that needs to head to the city in time for peak loads leaving the city.

I would say that the subsidies for evening and weekend services would be higher than interpeak.