News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport

#991 Post by rubberman » Mon May 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Tonsley213 wrote:(snip)
Well done Adelaidians. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Makes me want to :wallbash:

W****rs
That's all very well.

However, we used to have a public sector organisation called the Municipal Tramways Trust. I do not recall the MTT ever having a day's problems with its timetables unless there were exceptional circumstances (weather, strikes etc).

So I do not see why it is unreasonable when we had a public service organisation running our public transport that never had a timetabling problem, we should put up with a situation where the private sector is clearly out of its depth.

If timetabling were a black art that nobody could master, then fair enough. However, since the MTT was doing and changing timetables, and its trams were able to keep to those timetables without a hitch from 1909, why is it such a big deal that people think they are now being shafted by private enterprise companies who cannot do in 2013, what public servants were able to do in 1909?

Or more to the point, how much longer should this go on before we pull the plug permanently on what is increasingly apparent private sector massive failure?

How long has it been already that the private sector has not been able to get its stuff together? A year? More? How about you name a reasonable time for this to be fully resolved? Some of us have had enough, and after a year, it is a bit rich to call people who have put up with this nonsense names.

Passengers deserve better, far better.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#992 Post by Shahkar » Fri May 31, 2013 8:46 pm

bay transit wrote:Temporary timetables are up for tram and bus (replacement) services from Thursday night 6th June,Friday 7th,Saturday-Sunday-Monday-8th to 10th June to cover closure of the line between Rundle Mall and the Entertainment Centre.
Details onhttp://www.adelaidemetro.com.au
Will the bus be free, similar to the tram?

bay transit
High Rise Poster!

#993 Post by bay transit » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:24 am

Obviously yes.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#994 Post by Tonsley213 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:39 pm

Shahkar wrote:
bay transit wrote:Temporary timetables are up for tram and bus (replacement) services from Thursday night 6th June,Friday 7th,Saturday-Sunday-Monday-8th to 10th June to cover closure of the line between Rundle Mall and the Entertainment Centre.

Did someone actually waste bandwidth and time to ask such a stupid question, or am I imagining this? :wallbash:

adlpeters
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#995 Post by adlpeters » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:52 pm

Tonsley213 wrote:
Shahkar wrote:

Did someone actually waste bandwidth and time to ask such a stupid question, or am I imagining this? :wallbash:
I have been a lurker of this forum for a while, and I have been dying to ask why you feel it is necessary to be a condescending, nasty little shit all the time? How difficult would it have been for you to answer the other user's question instead of attacking him for asking it?

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#996 Post by Tonsley213 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:31 pm

adlpeters wrote:
Tonsley213 wrote:
Shahkar wrote: Will the bus be free, similar to the tram?

I have been a lurker of this forum for a while, and I have been dying to ask why you feel it is necessary to be a condescending, nasty little shit all the time? How difficult would it have been for you to answer the other user's question instead of attacking him for asking it?
I didn't answer the question, because the question was already answered.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#997 Post by Hooligan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:43 pm

Tonsley213 wrote:
adlpeters wrote:
Tonsley213 wrote:
I didn't answer the question, because the question was already answered.
So you just wasted bandwidth attacking someone for no reason?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#998 Post by Shahkar » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:42 pm

bay transit wrote:Obviously yes.
Thanks.
Tonsley213 wrote:Did someone actually waste bandwidth and time to ask such a stupid question, or am I imagining this?
It doesn't state anywhere that the service is going to be free. Just making sure.

PeFe

#999 Post by PeFe » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:19 am

From Adelaide Now
Security upgrade for Paradise Interchange

MORE security cameras and extra lighting are set to be installed at Paradise Interchange to in a bid to improve safety.
In a May 20 letter to Campbelltown Council, tabled at last night's council meeting, the Transport Department announced a security upgrade would "take place as a matter of priority and that the
upgrade is adequate to ensure the safety of all public transport users".
A department spokeswoman said the upgrade would include new lights and cameras, although the exact numbers were still being finalised
She said the cameras, which would be switched from analog to digital to improve clarity, would be linked to SA Police's security system, which was monitored around the clock.
The move comes after a faulty security camera failed to capture footage of an assault on Sarabjit Singh in March.
The assault left the Athelstone man with three chipped teeth, a fractured cheekbone and swelling to his head and ribs.
The security measures are part of a $17.1 million O-Bahn upgrade program, which also includes the Klemzig and Tea Tree Plaza interchanges.
Tenders for the works are expected in September.
It will take three months to complete.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/security- ... 6657754122

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#1000 Post by Shahkar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:30 am

I don't understand, why aren't they duplicating it all the way to Tonsley?

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#1001 Post by Tonsley213 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:08 pm

Because you could easily add another $20 million to the cost.
I see two main reasons.

1. They don't have to build a new Mitchell Park Station

2. Celtic Ave crossing would need major re profiling. At the moment the road comes to a peak and the current single track level, if they were to add another track to this. The foot print of the mound (as I like to call it) would seriously encroach of the entry to the units on the south east side of the crossing and the school and house on the north.

metro
Legendary Member!

#1002 Post by metro » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:58 pm

Marion station is having its overpass turned into an underpass, it looks like a bigger version of the old station subways:

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/RR/ ... _underpass

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#1003 Post by Shahkar » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:55 pm

[Shuz]

#1004 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:06 am

First time I've seen a concept animation with red livery on the old trains?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

The Scooter Guy

#1005 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:02 pm

PRIORITY bus lanes should be scrapped until the State Government overhauls Adelaide's public transport system, the state's largest motoring organisation says.
The RAA says the lanes are increasing peak hour travelling times and congestion, adding almost 3½ minutes to a 2km stretch of Anzac Hwy.
The results of its latest traffic survey show peak travelling times on the 2km stretch of Anzac Hwy between the Gallipoli Underpass and West Tce have reached a record crawl.
It blames one of the Government's controversial new priority bus lanes, from Greenhill Rd to West Tce, for the blowout.
It now takes nine minutes and 12 seconds to travel the 2km stretch at peak times - an extra three minutes and 21 seconds compared with last year's survey, before the bus lane's introduction.
"This translates into an average speed reduction of 9km/h," RAA senior manager mobility Mark Borlace said.
EXPERT: Why we need bus lanes
"If the performance of these lanes is indicative of how they are going to be and the Government doesn't improve public transport, then we should go back to the status quo (and remove them)."
He said the two priority bus lanes, which operate from 7am to 7pm, were a "failure".
"These bus lanes don't appear well planned and we don't want to see any more rolled out," he said.
"It would appear that motorists are still getting used to the bus lane as well, with traffic moving across into the outer two lanes of Anzac Highway well before the bus lane starts at Greenhill Rd."
"As a result, the inside lane of Anzac Highway is not being used."
Mr Borlace said the bus lane was also contributing to the extra nine minutes it takes to travel on South Rd from Majors Rd in O'Halloran Hill on to Anzac Hwy and finishing at West Tce.
Adelaide's other priority bus lane, introduced on Currie and Grenfell streets last year, would also be causing greater congestion and increasing travelling times, according to Mr Borlace.
FINDINGS: Our public transport survey
He said the bus lanes were supposed to make public transport more attractive, encourage more people to use it and reduce the number of cars on the roads.
"But priority bus lanes are bad news because they are adding to traffic delays and we are not seeing people jumping on to public transport," Mr Borlace said.
"The only way to solve this is to get people on public transport by fixing the frequency of services and getting them to run on time."
Transport Department figures show bus passenger numbers were down by 1.15 million trips to 50.99 million in 2011-12.
Transport Services Minister Chloe Fox said priority lanes meant that more than 40,000 bus passengers had experienced a considerable improvement in travel times and greater certainty in arrival times each weekday.
Ms Fox said performance monitoring of the priority bus lanes was continuing and would be better informed by the introduction of GPS technology and the new Metrocard system that give Adelaide Metro with the ability for the first time to record individual stop boardings.
"This Government does not shy away from the fact that we want to encourage more people to use public transport. Priority bus lanes that improve running times for buses are a key element in this strategy.
"We will also continue to invest in our bus fleet, review bus operator performances and roll out park 'n' ride facilities to attract more people to leave their cars outside the CBD and take up the option of using public transport," she said.
"We would also expect that the return of the Belair rail services on July 14 and the resumption of Noarlunga services in September will help to ease traffic congestion as ... rail substitute buses are no longer required."
Mr Borlace said, "the reality is we have cars idling for longer and motorists' money going out the tail pipe. For those who have been overseas and seen intelligent systems which run on time and frequently, the system we have here is very frustrating."
The RAA is campaigning for a comprehensive overhaul of the metropolitan transport system.
"It's congestion issues like this that show why an overall Transport Plan is needed for Adelaide," he said.
"Following the Federal Government's funding injection back in March; we look forward to seeing a complete transport plan before any more bus lanes are added."
People for Public Transport spokeswoman Margaret Dingle supported the RAA calls for service upgrades.
"I agree with the RAA regarding public transport frequency and punctuality although I do support priority bus lanes," she said.
Meanwhile, Adelaide's worst intersection for casualty crashes has been revealed.
It is the junction of South and Torrens roads in the western suburbs, according to a State Government study.
The intersection has a crash rate twice that of other aerterial roads, according to the South Road Upgrade Project Report.
An overview of the report - released for public consultation - justifies the decision to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to create a non-stop corridor along South Rd between Torrens Rd and the River Torrens.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/