News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1261 Post by rhino » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:09 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:57 am
Some weird choices, like on Currie Street most buses have changed their dropoff/pickup spots. Lots of confused commuters last night.
Yes, there is one less stop on Grenfell, and one less on Currie for busses to/from the Hills. It seems that from the stop outside TAFE on Currie St, there is one on Grenfell St, and the next is on Pulteney St in Hindmarsh Square.
cheers,
Rhino

Llessur2002

#1262 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Am I the only one who's really niggled by that W2 stop that's been crudely re purposed as F1? Surely for such a visible project it wouldn't have broken the bank to not reuse a stop that had obviously been made in error, or at least properly flatten the surface beforehand? Hopefully this is a temporary solution which will be replaced or rectified at some point.

Patrick_27

#1263 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Having now seen the outcome of this project in full, I feel that we have been seriously let down by the remediation of both ends... The extension to the bridge over the Torrens has seen the removal of the green railing that goes with the other side... Surely they could have either reused the original railing or simply taken it off the other side of the bridge to bring about some unity. The bus lanes were (based on the original renders) meant to be entirely red not just bits and pieces... And the gardens at the Grenfell Street end, four trees either side of the tunnel entrance doesn't represent the mass of plantings they have put forward in the renders, in-fact there is more fencing than there is planting. Don't put out a render to the public if you don't intend on sticking to it...

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1264 Post by Kasey771 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:34 pm

Caught the o-Bahn in and out of town today. Average time from Paradise to CitiCross and vice versa: 12 minutes. I can get a direct 502 from para Hills West to the city but I need to get a C2 to Paradise and wait for a 502 on the outward leg. I spent almost as long waiting at Paradise (10 mins) as I did on the busway!
Paradise I/C is not a nice place to spend any time at all lucky the weather was nice today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Nort

#1265 Post by Nort » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:37 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:29 pm
Having now seen the outcome of this project in full, I feel that we have been seriously let down by the remediation of both ends... The extension to the bridge over the Torrens has seen the removal of the green railing that goes with the other side... Surely they could have either reused the original railing or simply taken it off the other side of the bridge to bring about some unity. The bus lanes were (based on the original renders) meant to be entirely red not just bits and pieces... And the gardens at the Grenfell Street end, four trees either side of the tunnel entrance doesn't represent the mass of plantings they have put forward in the renders, in-fact there is more fencing than there is planting. Don't put out a render to the public if you don't intend on sticking to it...
The gardens around the city end of the tunnel are a bit bare, but I'm hoping that's just because coming into summer isn't the best time to be planting lots of new vegetation and hopefully in a few months they will green it up more.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1266 Post by muzzamo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:42 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
The bus lanes were (based on the original renders) meant to be entirely red not just bits and pieces... And the gardens at the Grenfell Street end, four trees either side of the tunnel entrance doesn't represent the mass of plantings they have put forward in the renders, in-fact there is more fencing than there is planting. Don't put out a render to the public if you don't intend on sticking to it...
Its a common mistake on these forums (not to mention AdelaideNow!!!) to confuse a conceptual design with a detailed design.

Conceptual designs are released very early in the project, and are "back of the envelope" designs to give people an idea what to expect. Detailed design costs many millions more and is the result of significant refinement, thought, time and analysis.

Waewick

#1267 Post by Waewick » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:13 pm

muzzamo wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
The bus lanes were (based on the original renders) meant to be entirely red not just bits and pieces... And the gardens at the Grenfell Street end, four trees either side of the tunnel entrance doesn't represent the mass of plantings they have put forward in the renders, in-fact there is more fencing than there is planting. Don't put out a render to the public if you don't intend on sticking to it...
Its a common mistake on these forums (not to mention AdelaideNow!!!) to confuse a conceptual design with a detailed design.

Conceptual designs are released very early in the project, and are "back of the envelope" designs to give people an idea what to expect. Detailed design costs many millions more and is the result of significant refinement, thought, time and analysis.
Problem is it is all about perception.

The perception was the finished product was to be close to that which was used to convince the general public.

I would have thought, given the negative focus on the project, especially in the parklands, they would have tried to get it right.

claybro

#1268 Post by claybro » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:41 pm

Without wanting to sound like a cracked record regarding lack of attention to landscaping/ streetscaping and maintenance of both in general, is anyone really surprised by this? Just look at the treatment of the tram extension along Port road and at the Hindmarsh terminus. Lazy and cheap to begin with, it has all withered away to dry mulch. Adelaide really needs to lift its game in this area, not just the CBD, but all major transport corridors are really drab, dry and uninviting.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#1269 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:00 am

A-fucking-men.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1270 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
I kept an eye out for this today. You're correct. The temporary looking railing on the Eastern side of the Hackney bridge looks cheap and nasty. poor form. Would it have killed them to at least paint the new railing Green if they weren't smart enough to think about transferring the original railing to the new location?
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

rhino

#1271 Post by rhino » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:40 am

With regard to the bridge railing, I was disappointed to see that they hadn't replicated the heritage railing from the original bridge for the new bridge. If you're going to spend money making something look attractive as part of a project, this is something I would have expected to be in the plans right from the start. :(
cheers,
Rhino

bits
Legendary Member!

#1272 Post by bits » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:56 am

The railing is fine, it looks like railing and is functional.
The road is pushed right up to the edge of the bridge now so a minor error could lead to a car running off the road. I would put no faith in the old railing keeping a car on the road. The old railing had the help of curbs and footpaths areas to prevent cars actually ever needing the railing for safety.

Do you guys whinge about everything?

ImageImage

Last edited by bits on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1273 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:00 am

bits wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:56 am
The railing is fine, is looks like railing and is functional.
Do you guys whinge about everything?
Not whinging, just calling out mediocrity. Its called getting the details right. I think it looks cheap having it the way it is. could've been better..simply by painting the modern railing green to match the heritage railing.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1274 Post by Norman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:36 am

The North-bound bridge is not heritage listed, nor is there any meaning to the colour. I'd rather they do this and spend the money on other things such as more plants around the tunnel portals.

rhino

#1275 Post by rhino » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:51 am

Norman wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:36 am
The North-bound bridge is not heritage listed, nor is there any meaning to the colour. I'd rather they do this and spend the money on other things such as more plants around the tunnel portals.
Equally, the portals are not heritage listed, nor is there any meaning to the look of them, so why spend money making them anything more than functional?

The bridge duplication is part of the project, but has been treated as an afterthought. Bridges, even small ones, are points of reference, and stick in peoples' minds, which is why even footbridges are often works of art, and not just functional. In this case, a bridge has been duplicated without any thought for how the structure (the two bridges) looks as a whole, which is not usual practice.
cheers,
Rhino