[APP] Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[APP] Re: Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

#571 Post by Nathan » Fri May 31, 2024 9:59 am

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 9:37 am
Good on the government for now strongly attempting to get rid of it.
To be fair, the tourism department has been trying to shake it for decades (the instruction to not use it has been part of media kits for a long time). It just doesn't die due to lazy interstate journalists.

SBD

#572 Post by SBD » Fri May 31, 2024 11:14 am

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
rhino wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 8:08 am
The most mis-understood nickname for a city. Do you see churches everywhere? I don't, and nor do visitors (who might even come here to see them). The vision for South Australia, way back in the early 1800s, included that it would be a bastion against religious persecution, people of any religion (any church) would be welcome. Hence its capital became known as the City of Churches - it is not about church buildings. Personally, I feel this is a worthy ideal and have no problem with the moniker, though I do feel the need to explain it to those who make comments without knowing the background.
Lets be real, that was 200 years ago. Australia is one of the most secular non-religious countries in the world, the title of "City if Churches" is no longer fit for purpose. Its too hard to explain to visitors and they frankly wouldn't care enough to listen. When you say "city of churches", you instantly think of retired wrinkly pensioners, and that the whole city in one big retirement home. That's what Queenslanders think, let me tell you!! If you were an investor would you invest in the "city of churches" or would you invest somewhere else? It doesn't make sense to keep it for adelaides future.

I don't care if the name stays or not. There were a lot of church buildings in the CBD that are no longer there, and a few more that have been repurposed.

I'm sorry to hear that your experience of "church" has only been of "retired wrinkly pensioners" in a retirement home.

The history of welcoming "dissenting" Christians and other religions has probably made a mark on the ongoing culture of South Australia that is hard to spot from within, and maybe hard to identify from outside, just that we are "different" in some indefinable way.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#573 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri May 31, 2024 11:30 am

Mindful of being off topic in this thread, but I would guess the majority of people who visit Adelaide aren’t going to care if we have more tall buildings or not because they’re not skyscraper obsessed weirdos. Our selling points are and will continue to be our great food, easy access to wineries, nice beaches, etc.

I think the CBD certainly feels more lively over the past decade or so, but that goes beyond there just being more tall buildings, with small bars and restaurants openings being a big contributing factor. Anyway, hope this one goes ahead - will add to the skyline nicely.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#574 Post by Norman » Fri May 31, 2024 3:58 pm

I've just done another cleanup of this thread. Personal attacks will not be tolerated, and keep it on topic please.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#575 Post by rev » Fri May 31, 2024 6:02 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 9:59 am
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
To be fair, the tourism department has been trying to shake it for decades (the instruction to not use it has been part of media kits for a long time). It just doesn't die due to lazy interstate journalists.
I think one way to shake those negative labels Adelaide has, is not by the government wasting tax payers dollars to tell the rest of Australia that Adelaide/SA aren't "insert negative label of choice here", but rather developments like this.
I think developers could really learn something from the types of high rise developments that happen overseas, and what they offer within those high rise buildings, not just a hotel/office/apartments, as well as design. Which, imho anyway, is what's happening with this development.

Nathan

#576 Post by Nathan » Fri May 31, 2024 11:01 pm

rev wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 6:02 pm
Nathan wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 9:59 am
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
I think one way to shake those negative labels Adelaide has, is not by the government wasting tax payers dollars to tell the rest of Australia that Adelaide/SA aren't "insert negative label of choice here", but rather developments like this.
I think developers could really learn something from the types of high rise developments that happen overseas, and what they offer within those high rise buildings, not just a hotel/office/apartments, as well as design. Which, imho anyway, is what's happening with this development.
They're hardly wasting tax payer dollars doing it. Media kits with guides on what to say and what not to say are standard practice everywhere.

VinyTapestry849
Legendary Member!

#577 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:38 pm

I've noticed the ABC are using the Freemason's Grand Lodge in a new TV series about 1960's fashion. It's called "Ladies in Black" apparently.

They've photoshopped the front of the building a little bit, added shop windows and removed "Audi Vide Tace" from the facade. Looks good though imo

Trailer is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XzOQi6BXAE&t=11s
Attachments
Picture1.png
Picture2.png

Nathan

#578 Post by Nathan » Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:03 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:38 pm
I've noticed the ABC are using the Freemason's Grand Lodge in a new TV series about 1960's fashion. It's called "Ladies in Black" apparently.

They've photoshopped the front of the building a little bit, added shop windows and removed "Audi Vide Tace" from the facade. Looks good though imo

They did a fair bit of filming at the end of last year on East Tce too, around Rundle Park and the former ETC tenancy.

Patrick_27

#579 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:08 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:03 pm
VinyTapestry849 wrote:

They did a fair bit of filming at the end of last year on East Tce too, around Rundle Park and the former ETC tenancy.
Based on the film/book, I believe. Honestly, rather than set the show in Adelaide where the majority of its exterior shots are filmed they would rather have people believe that it's set in Sydney. Shows how stupidly Sydney/Melbourne centric our film/television industry is, there is nothing in the original story that ties it to Sydney.

prometheus2704
Gold-Member ;)

#580 Post by prometheus2704 » Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:32 pm

There was a small fire on the brush fence on the Eastern property line on North Terrace today at about 4:05 pm.

I didn't get a photo, I was passing by on a bus.

Nort

#581 Post by Nort » Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:50 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:08 pm
Nathan wrote:
VinyTapestry849 wrote:

Based on the film/book, I believe. Honestly, rather than set the show in Adelaide where the majority of its exterior shots are filmed they would rather have people believe that it's set in Sydney. Shows how stupidly Sydney/Melbourne centric our film/television industry is, there is nothing in the original story that ties it to Sydney.
Eh, if they want to try and sell it overseas having a city name that people know attached to it helps, and the book was actually set in Sydney.

abc
Legendary Member!

#582 Post by abc » Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:52 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:50 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:08 pm
Nathan wrote:

Eh, if they want to try and sell it overseas having a city name that people know attached to it helps, and the book was actually set in Sydney.
Why are my comments saying the same thing being deleted?
Adelaide is the best location in Australia to shoot a drama set in the 60s

MicBara
Gold-Member ;)

#583 Post by MicBara » Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:09 pm

Hey everyone.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive. Yep we're all ready to go for our hearing. We hoped to have it done on the 12th of June but apparently reviewing the Crows proposal blew everyone's heads up and we got pushed to July. Likely July 10.

It's a big deal and we've already started scoping out works for heritage restoration. Part of the agreement is to commence restoration within 6 months of rear hall demolition. We're mindful that other projects have made commitments to restore heritage only to come back and ask for amendments. Preservation is just as important as the new tower in this case so we have scoped works for storm-water, glass work and other areas ready to go the day we're approved.

Yes there was a small brush fire in the fence next door - probably a loon with a lighter.
Thanks to the person who posted the video about Ladies in Black. It was pretty cool to see what they did so quickly. I've attached a behind the scene's pic.

Geotech investigation was completed. We've put two long term sensors in the ground to measure the aquifers below the surface but on the whole we have solid stone right where we plan to put our foundations and it appears to be better than expected.
Arup are now tasked with optimizing the foundation design against the total building weight - there will be an optimum solution, ie the lightest building and the easiest foundation structure without compromising on height. There is more to come but I'll have to share that once it's approved.
Attachments
signal-2024-06-08-190117_004.jpeg

MicBara
Gold-Member ;)

#584 Post by MicBara » Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:33 pm

also thanks to those who commented on the ramp structure at the front. Here's a blog post from the new buildings update section of our website with a quick mention.

https://www.keystoneadelaide.com.au/pos ... e-adelaide

VinyTapestry849
Legendary Member!

#585 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:19 pm

MicBara wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:09 pm

Thanks for keeping this thread alive. Yep we're all ready to go for our hearing. We hoped to have it done on the 12th of June but apparently reviewing the Crows proposal blew everyone's heads up and we got pushed to July. Likely July 10.
The whole crows thing is a mess but glad the project has finally gotten a potential hearing date. After the hearing does that solidify this project's approval or is it subject to further assessment?
MicBara wrote:
It's a big deal and we've already started scoping out works for heritage restoration. Part of the agreement is to commence restoration within 6 months of rear hall demolition. We're mindful that other projects have made commitments to restore heritage only to come back and ask for amendments. Preservation is just as important as the new tower in this case so we have scoped works for storm-water, glass work and other areas ready to go the day we're approved.
I've seen a couple of people on facebook complaining about the rear hall on the Masonic Lodge facebook page being demolished, I'm sure the rear hall isn't that overly important not to be demolished. Those people will be happy to know that the majority of the complex will be restored and preserved, even though some oppose this development.
MicBara wrote:
Thanks to the person who posted the video about Ladies in Black. It was pretty cool to see what they did so quickly. I've attached a behind the scene's pic.
No worries! :lol: The ABC did a really good job with the building judging by the trailer, thought people in here might be interested.
MicBara wrote:
Geotech investigation was completed. We've put two long term sensors in the ground to measure the aquifers below the surface but on the whole we have solid stone right where we plan to put our foundations and it appears to be better than expected.
Arup are now tasked with optimizing the foundation design against the total building weight - there will be an optimum solution, ie the lightest building and the easiest foundation structure without compromising on height. There is more to come but I'll have to share that once it's approved.
Yeah we'd all be devastated if we had to compromise on height for this one :lol: Great to know its not a major issue and can be outmaneuvered. Onwards and upwards from here.

Thanks for another great update mic! :D