News & Developments: Glenelg

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #COM: | Bay Junction | $60m | 3lvls | Retail | Glenelg

#151 Post by Omicron » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:10 pm

baytram366 wrote:Anything happening at the cinema lately? I haven't been to the Bay for a few months...
Short answer? No.

why1s1t
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#152 Post by why1s1t » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:12 pm

Believe it guys. The Holdfast Bay Council have given permission to the Wallis Group for demolition of the Glenelg cinema. This is a tragedy. Its one thing to demolish to make way for things bigger better and brighter. Provide to the community a useful building maybe a local cinemas multiplex , restaurants .... What is it when you demolish and replace with a bland and same as 2 story building. There something about retaining buildings that were built in a time when craftsman shift and solid materials surpass the modern glass soul less structures. Its almost a green concept reusing rather than throwing out something that is still structurally solid. If you care about keeping the seaside character of Glenelg and keeping a building which in a few years will be 100 yrs old, history from the 20th Century, please write to the council or write on the petition started by the Art Deco and Modernism Society wishing to save the building from demolition and get it listed. http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... inema.html.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#153 Post by SRW » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:42 pm

I wonder if this is another Chelsea in the making?

Or perhaps people down that way are too distracted with the beach to care.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#154 Post by Ben » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:21 am

why1s1t wrote:Believe it guys. The Holdfast Bay Council have given permission to the Wallis Group for demolition of the Glenelg cinema. This is a tragedy. Its one thing to demolish to make way for things bigger better and brighter. Provide to the community a useful building maybe a local cinemas multiplex , restaurants .... What is it when you demolish and replace with a bland and same as 2 story building. There something about retaining buildings that were built in a time when craftsman shift and solid materials surpass the modern glass soul less structures. Its almost a green concept reusing rather than throwing out something that is still structurally solid. If you care about keeping the seaside character of Glenelg and keeping a building which in a few years will be 100 yrs old, history from the 20th Century, please write to the council or write on the petition started by the Art Deco and Modernism Society wishing to save the building from demolition and get it listed. http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... inema.html.
unfortunatly your link doesn't work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#155 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:56 pm

Ben wrote:
why1s1t wrote:Believe it guys. The Holdfast Bay Council have given permission to the Wallis Group for demolition of the Glenelg cinema. This is a tragedy. Its one thing to demolish to make way for things bigger better and brighter. Provide to the community a useful building maybe a local cinemas multiplex , restaurants .... What is it when you demolish and replace with a bland and same as 2 story building. There something about retaining buildings that were built in a time when craftsman shift and solid materials surpass the modern glass soul less structures. Its almost a green concept reusing rather than throwing out something that is still structurally solid. If you care about keeping the seaside character of Glenelg and keeping a building which in a few years will be 100 yrs old, history from the 20th Century, please write to the council or write on the petition started by the Art Deco and Modernism Society wishing to save the building from demolition and get it listed. http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... inema.html.
unfortunatly your link doesn't work.
Works if you spell Glenelg with both els instead of one.
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... inema.html

Online petitions mean squat. You need to collect people's marks (signatures) to make them notable.
Last edited by monotonehell on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ghs

#156 Post by ghs » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:57 pm

As far as I am concerned it's good news that its coming down. The building is not that attractive
and could mean that we see a new 3-4 storey development.

skyliner

#157 Post by skyliner » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:07 pm

Don't you mean 1 - 2 storey? A great pity about the impending loss of the cinema however.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

why1s1t
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#158 Post by why1s1t » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:52 pm

Sorry about the bad cut and paste link, you can find us on go petition if you look.
Our Society already has 600 signatures on paper, as for the 1 -2 storey office block.Really is that as good as it gets in Adelaide. How sensational is that?
Go to the city for offices. .
Whats the point of living near the seaside to only turn it into a mini city centre. Where's the entertainment in that.
Glenelg Jetty road needs a cinema, need fine dining and general attractions. Keep the locals and tourists amused.
Leave the boring stuff to the suburbs.

Omicron

#159 Post by Omicron » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:20 pm

The whole concept of a cinema is, in my view, increasingly outdated - forced limited distribution, set viewing times, substantial mark-ups on food and drink, relatively few locations, and so on. I perceive movie theatres in much the same way as I do interstate passenger train travel - at risk of being nothing more than a novelty offering questionable benefits over competing technologies. I've not yet been to a Gold Class session, but if the service is sufficiently attentive, then it's one of the best ideas the film industry has had in years and years. It appears to offer far more of a unique viewing experience, which is particularly relevant given the explosive growth in home theatre systems, plasma/LCD televisions the size of wall mirrors, and the quality of DVD/Blu-ray recordings (I shall be killed by those in the know for lumping those two together).

WIth that in mind, then, I understand completely why this site cannot function profitably as a cinema. I'd hazard a guess that older-style cinemas that do are absolutely the exceptions, and that short of altering the interior irreparably and expanding onto land they just don't have, the Bay cinema is dead. That's why it closed in the first place, and I don't blame Wallis at all for closing the doors in the first place or for any other operator not wanting to take it over.

I do wonder, though, if it could have a future as a live music venue (Thebarton Theatre-esque) with room for functions a la the Entertainment Centre. It wouldn't surprise me if the same amount or fewer people live within a set radius compared to Moseley Square venues, and parking/access is probably better. Provided appropriate attention is paid to ground-level retail that ensures round-the-clock viability, I can't think of any other use that would make best use of such a large, uniquely-shaped building. Of course, almost every narrow-minded, self-centred, insular criticism one can throw at the ACC's DAP can also be applied to the Holdfast Bay equivalent and the fearsomely dense residents of dense Glenelg areas who complain about obvious consequences of density, so I don't expect such an idea has been been remotely considered.

patthecat
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: #COM - Baywaters (Glenelg) 5 levels - $45 million

#160 Post by patthecat » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:41 pm

The original application was for ALL the apartments to be registered under the SA Retirement Village Act 1987 as such. Then, because the apartments didn't sell (only 12 sold to date) it was decided by the developer (not the residents) to turn Glenelg Pacific into rental accommodation. Residents apparently received a letter saying this was to happen. Under the RV ACT this is POSSIBLE for 5 years BUT do residents need to be consulted first? Is a letter stating intent considered proper consultation under the Act? There appears to be little doubt in most Bay Waters resident owners' opinions that the short to medium term lets are affecting their investment potential. There also appear to be issues associated with the underground parking - such as allowing motor bike parking/non residential parking/corporate/holiday parking. Would such an arrangement produce noise associated issues for elderly people who thought they were buying into a fully secured retirement situation?

ghs

#161 Post by ghs » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Is there really 73 apartments because it doesn't look that big ?

My question is if there were 12 or less sold out of 73 before construction
phase then why did they go ahead with construction ?

Car parking is short down there..... they could have built a multi storey
car park instead. :)

patthecat
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#162 Post by patthecat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:21 am

Yeah - I'm surprised they didn't just build a carpark!!!! I can see why you don't think it would be that large - however, the floors are double sided - only half the apartments face Durham St and also, you can't see the top level very well. No - the 12 were not sold before construction. Apparently, 30% were sold off the plan - then for various reasons, including late finish, most people pulled out. I think only 3 were left holding off the plan apartments. The rest have been sold since completion. This might also be a contentious issue? If there are continual 'sales events' happening in, for example, residents Community Centre, would that impinge upon resident's lifestyle?

Dr-T
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: #Proposed - 8 South Esplanade (Glenelg) - 5 levels

#163 Post by Dr-T » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:39 am

This is back on the market again, still says construction from Mid 2010 but I think we can discount that by now as it has said that since last year. Btw cheers to whoever found those renders..

Omicron

#164 Post by Omicron » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:39 pm

I shall award many points to the developer who buys the graceful but tired-looking mansion next door (Henry Ayres' summer residence, if memory serves) and restores it to some semblance of its former glory.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#165 Post by SRW » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:13 am

Omicron wrote:I shall award many points to the developer who buys the graceful but tired-looking mansion next door (Henry Ayres' summer residence, if memory serves) and restores it to some semblance of its former glory.
And then permits me to occupy it...
Keep Adelaide Weird