[COM] Colonial Mutual Building > Mayfair Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #U/R: Colonial Mutual Building > Rydges Hotel

#91 Post by Wayno » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Ben wrote:A couple of new renders:
Hey Ben, from where did you source the renders? is there a website (architect or builder perhaps) with more detailed plans?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

russo92
Gold-Member ;)

#92 Post by russo92 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:10 pm

whats inside it right now, is it literally empty ? They should turn it into a boutique shopping centre. I like those glass shards, should do more of that kind of thing around it blend the old with the new

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#93 Post by Ben » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:48 pm

Wayno wrote:
Ben wrote:A couple of new renders:
Hey Ben, from where did you source the renders? is there a website (architect or builder perhaps) with more detailed plans?

www.jpe.com.au they are the architects.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#94 Post by skyliner » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:16 pm

Those new renders (the glass extensions) do nothing for the bldg - incongruent to say the least. It needs cleaning up as was the GPO a few years ago - did wonders there. keep the bldg harmonious as a feature of that architectural type without tack on features from another time period. Almost sounding like a nimby or super conservative

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#95 Post by victorious80 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:07 am

agreed. not to sound prudish or conservative, but that building has a grand old-style feel that would be great to preserve (similar to Town Hall, Treasury, Railway Station, etc). Would be a shame if we somehow cheapened the building by trying to modernise it.

by all means, restore and clean it up, but respect and retain the building's history and style.

rhino

#96 Post by rhino » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:40 am

victorious80 wrote:agreed. not to sound prudish or conservative, but that building has a grand old-style feel that would be great to preserve (similar to Town Hall, Treasury, Railway Station, etc). Would be a shame if we somehow cheapened the building by trying to modernise it.

by all means, restore and clean it up, but respect and retain the building's history and style.
+1
cheers,
Rhino

Vee
Legendary Member!

#97 Post by Vee » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:05 pm

victorious80 wrote:agreed. not to sound prudish or conservative, but that building has a grand old-style feel that would be great to preserve (similar to Town Hall, Treasury, Railway Station, etc). Would be a shame if we somehow cheapened the building by trying to modernise it.

Agree.
This building is a real treasure and an asset to the streetscape. It deserves to be respected, cleaned up and reborn with a use appopriate to its style and pre-eminent location.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#98 Post by spiller » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:09 pm

I disagree, I like the idea of something more modern with the the old. Perhaps not that exact design but incorporating old with new is the best way to bring a heritage feature back to life. It's a far better alternative to the boring, ugly, light deprived area that currently sits at the bottom of this building.

Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

#99 Post by Adelarch » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:49 am

spiller wrote:I disagree, I like the idea of something more modern with the the old. Perhaps not that exact design but incorporating old with new is the best way to bring a heritage feature back to life. It's a far better alternative to the boring, ugly, light deprived area that currently sits at the bottom of this building.
I'm with you. This is one of my favourite buildings in the city- it has a real NY feel about it. But I do like what JPE are trying to do it, both aesthetically and functionally. Although it's possible it may not pay off, full marks nonetheless for architectural boldness and if it does work it could be an exciting addition to the building and one which may lift the entire intersection.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#100 Post by AtD » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:16 am

I like it. The current awning is not very exciting and doesn't really fit the architecture of the building anyway – it looks like an afterthought . I like it when architects are bold and try to mix the old and the new together.

Is the current awning on the building originally or was it added later?

Where did you get the renders from, Ben?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#101 Post by Ben » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:31 am

AtD wrote:I like it. The current awning is not very exciting and doesn't really fit the architecture of the building anyway – it looks like an afterthought . I like it when architects are bold and try to mix the old and the new together.

Is the current awning on the building originally or was it added later?

Where did you get the renders from, Ben?
They are from the JPE website.

www.jpe.com.au

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#102 Post by spiller » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:38 pm

AtD: I would think the current awning was an addition, i.e. not original, but I'm only speculating. It severly lacks character, there seem to be similar awnings at the bottom of most of the buildings along that section of KWS, they do provide good shelter but they totally kill the atmosphere at street level IMO.

skyliner

#103 Post by skyliner » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:26 pm

spiller wrote:AtD: I would think the current awning was an addition, i.e. not original, but I'm only speculating. It severly lacks character, there seem to be similar awnings at the bottom of most of the buildings along that section of KWS, they do provide good shelter but they totally kill the atmosphere at street level IMO.
in answer to the bold - totally disagree. The awnings give a 'city' atmosphere. IMO the awning fit the period well - take a look in Sydney and Brisbane. Often in NY the awnings are short canvas projections - this bldg may have been like that. and could look good as such. Awnings also break that solid wall/tunnel impression as well as give the shelter we need.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Nathan

#104 Post by Nathan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:34 pm

This got a brief mention in the new issue of The Adelaide Review, on the cover page of the Form section at the back.
Back To Life
JPE Design Studio has recommenced work as architects and interior designers on the $30m CML Building. The unique Adelaide landmark on the corner of King William and Hindley St will be turned into a 175 room boutique hotel for Adabco.

metro
Legendary Member!

#105 Post by metro » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:47 pm

is it actually going to happen? they keep saying that work is underway but nothing is actually happening, and the last i heard was that the building was full of squatters and was structurally unsafe and in danger of collapsing :shock: