[COM] Rundle Place | 76m | 15lvls | Retail & Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: APP Rundle Pl/Bendigo Adel Bank, Harris Scarfe, Coles 72

#616 Post by Isiskii » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:24 am

Only if they are directly involved; ie - infrastructure like the NRAH.

Does the State Government own any buildings/floorspace in the CBD - or is all of its offices leased to a private sector entity?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#617 Post by AG » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:31 am

Isiskii wrote:Only if they are directly involved; ie - infrastructure like the NRAH.

Does the State Government own any buildings/floorspace in the CBD - or is all of its offices leased to a private sector entity?
The State Government occupies floorspace in City Central Tower 1 on Waymouth Street and in the Reserve Bank Building in Victoria Square, in both cases leased out, not owned.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#618 Post by rhino » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:01 am

It also leases floors in Chesser House and the old SA Water House on Grenfell St, and the old Allianz building at 100 Pirie St. I'm sure there are many more.
cheers,
Rhino

Omicron

#619 Post by Omicron » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:11 pm

The Motor Accident Commission bought CC2 quite recently, and the State Administration Centre is definitely government property.
Isiskii wrote:Only if they are directly involved; ie - infrastructure like the NRAH.
That's a huge distinction from the original statement. It's certainly true that the Government or the ACC doesn't build CBD shopping centres, so it's not their fault if someone proposes one that's a bit shit and shorter than what was originally mooted, but the State Government is absolutely a builder and bankroller of developments, from apartment buildings to offices, sporting venues and entertainment precincts.

[/Aidan]

:wink:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#620 Post by Will » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:37 am

From the Advertiser:
It's Mall happening on Rundle

Christie Peucker Urban Affairs Reporter From: Sunday Mail (SA) February 13, 2011 12:00AM

The Mall is preparing to undergo its biggest shake-up since a new plaza and David Jones store were built in 2000.

Temporary retail outlets will be constructed in coming months in front of the soon-to-be demolished Harris Scarfe department store, to maintain retail activity on the mall's southern side.

Harris Scarfe has revealed it will move from March 30, across the mall to a temporary store in Rundle Mall Plaza.

In April, developer Pacific Group will start a two-year project to transform the old department store site into a multi-storey commercial tower and retail precinct.

Rundle Mall Management Authority chairman Theo Maras said the planned activity was aimed at removing a "nexus of stagnancy" in the mall.

"We want to make sure the current site remains active. We'll have retail activity in front of the hoardings while construction is going on so it doesn't create a dead spot," he said.

He said mall management had learned from past failings during the redevelopment of Myer, in 1991, David Jones, and more recently with the overhaul of Woolworths, which left gaps in the mall's "retail experience".

Mr Maras said "pop-up" shops such as cafes would be given favourable rents to maintain continuity.

Harris Scarfe managing director Joe Barberis announced the retailer would hold a six-week super sale, starting this Wednesday.

Hourly, daily and weekly specials, as well as high-end parties for customers, staff and VIPs, are being planned before the March 27 shutdown of 81 Rundle Mall - home to Harris Scarfe for 94 years.

"We are going to have Adelaide's biggest closing down sale, ever, so there will be specials like Adelaide has never seen before," Mr Barberis said.

An interim lease has been signed for 50 Rundle Mall and Harris Scarfe is scheduled to return to its original site within two years. Mr Barberis said the temporary store would stock the usual Harris Scarfe goods

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#621 Post by AtD » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:32 am

Very good news, at last some progress. So it's as we thought, they'll take up the old Radio Rentals space as their temporary store.

I'm trying to figure how these temporary stores in front of the construction site will work. Surely the hoarding will need to occupy space in the mall and there's a kiosk in front of the site. With extra shops taking up yet more space, it's going to make for a very narrow area.

If only the facade wasn't so boring...

The plans are no longer on the ACC website so I've uploaded a copy here.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#622 Post by Will » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:36 pm

Although I am annoyed at the reduction in height like everyone else, I don't fully understand the anger being expressed at the architecture of the new design.

This is the old design; not exactly a masterpiece, and IMO, more boxy and bland than the current design.

Waewick

#623 Post by Waewick » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:30 pm

i'm just happy to see some movement on this one. Will be a huge change to the skyline in the mall.

Nort

#624 Post by Nort » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:49 pm

Will wrote:Although I am annoyed at the reduction in height like everyone else, I don't fully understand the anger being expressed at the architecture of the new design.

This is the old design; not exactly a masterpiece, and IMO, more boxy and bland than the current design.

It's more the facade in Rundle Mall that is really boring, this would have been an ideal situation to retain the existing Harris Scarfe facade in some form while building a modern building behind it.

Omicron

#625 Post by Omicron » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:16 pm

It just seems to me that Rundle Mall is doing an increasingly fine job of appearing like the suburban shopping centre it's apparently trying so hard not to be.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#626 Post by AtD » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:33 pm

http://www.harrisscarfe.com.au/about-hs ... vents.html
14/02/11 - HARRIS SCARFE ADELAIDE CITY GETS SET FOR REDEVELOPMENT

Harris Scarfe is excited to announce the next evolution of its iconic Adelaide City store in a planned, total re-development of the Rundle Mall site, due to commence in April 2011.

“While the current site has been home to Harris Scarfe’s flagship store for over 90 years, we are excited to be able to bring to Adelaide what will be the most modern and state of the art retail department store in Australia ”, says Harris Scarfe Managing Director, Joe Barberis.

“Over the coming months Harris Scarfe will clear its Adelaide City store of all stock in preparation for the redevelopment and invite South Australians to celebrate with a host of promotions, events, VIP offers and sales on a scale never before seen in Adelaide!”

To ensure customers continue to enjoy Harris Scarfe’s great range of products, brands and savings while the redevelopment project is underway, Harris Scarfe Adelaide City will relocate to a new, temporary store in Rundle Mall Plaza from Wednesday 30th March 2011, with the existing site at 81 Rundle Mall to cease trading on Sunday 27th March.

Harris Scarfe has been operating in Adelaide for over 160 years and is integral to South Australia’s retail environment.

skyliner

#627 Post by skyliner » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:06 pm

I have probably missed something along the way, but could someone inform me as to the number of floors of the new bldg being erected. Not as appealing as the old design but great to see this actually happening!

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#628 Post by Pikey » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:52 pm

skyliner wrote:I have probably missed something along the way, but could someone inform me as to the number of floors of the new bldg being erected. Not as appealing as the old design but great to see this actually happening!

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
There's a pretty good hint in the thread title.... :)
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Ho Really

#629 Post by Ho Really » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:58 pm

Such a great location (with so much room) for a 100 metre (or so) tower goes wasted! Find yourselves more tenants and build something that will stand out over the next 20-30 years! No wonder Adelaide looks so out of whack when you get a 86 metre needle going ahead at 115 King William Street and a stump over here. Again my two cents worth.

Cheers

PS. What gets to me is that Bendigo Adelaide could have easily gone ahead with heir own plan for probably the same outcome. I guess they wanted to lease something on the Mall and get more traffic. A plus to them. A real pity if the height stays the same and there are no further changes. I know I am making a big deal out of this, but think about 20-30 years down the track what a wasted opportunity this was, and what could have been. It seems that we are destined to have a pyramid shaped CBD, whether we want it or not. I think Adelaidians must have this ingrained in their subconscious.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#630 Post by Isiskii » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Ho Really,

Just in case you hadn't noted, the CBD is littered with countless examples of wasted oppurtunities. It's alarming. I agree that this is just yet another case in example to come of.