News & Developments: Glenelg

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #COM: | Bay Junction | $60m | 3lvls | Retail | Glenelg

#181 Post by Pikey » Tue May 10, 2011 7:53 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
crawf wrote:Yes, it's the state's biggest tourist drawcard
And also, one of Glenelg's best assets & best liabilities.
Assets and Liabilities??

Maybe check the thesaurus next time you post....
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#182 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu May 12, 2011 10:25 am

crawf wrote:Very sad news, hopefully the building will still be saved.

Either way Glenelg needs a cinema.
I sometimes think how awesome it would have been if the Marion Greater Union/Event Cinemas were built at Glenelg instead, closer to the beach end of Jetty Road than the Wallis Cinema was. I lament that in this city so much is centred around the bland Westfields or similar. My hate for Westfield grows stronger in every passing year.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#183 Post by pushbutton » Thu May 12, 2011 10:26 pm

What's wrong with having shops, restaurants and cinemas all together conveniently in one air-conditioned, modern building with easy carparking right outside and a range of services on hand such as security, cleaners, first aid, information desks and sometimes entertainment of various types?

Clearly this is what most people want or else companies like Westfield would never have succeeded. Not only is Westfield hugely popular in Australia but it's rapidly expanding overseas now, so clearly people all over the world appreciate the type of environments they provide.

However if you prefer to do your shopping, dining or entertainment elsewhere you do also have that option and there are numerous cinemas around Adelaide that are not in big enclosed centres (such as Norwood and Semaphore for example).

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#184 Post by Tyler_Durden » Fri May 13, 2011 11:32 am

pushbutton wrote:What's wrong with having shops, restaurants and cinemas all together conveniently in one air-conditioned, modern building with easy carparking right outside and a range of services on hand such as security, cleaners, first aid, information desks and sometimes entertainment of various types?
Every time I go to the cinemas at Marion or West Lakes the shopping centre is pretty much closed. There is very little to do other than watch a movie then leave. Marion has what, two or three restaurants? Five if you include Hungry Jacks and Subway. West Lakes has one only.

I also don't consider a Westfield type shopping centre to be a place to just hang out like Glenelg, Norwood or the city is. Maybe that's just me.
Clearly this is what most people want or else companies like Westfield would never have succeeded. Not only is Westfield hugely popular in Australia but it's rapidly expanding overseas now, so clearly people all over the world appreciate the type of environments they provide.
Just because it's popular doesn't mean I have to like it. McDonalds aren't my favourite restaurant either.

I would say outside of shopping hours there are more people at Glenelg and Norwood than at Marion or Tea Tree Plaza which to me suggests people are more interested in spending time at those locales, cinema or no cinema. All I'm saying is a modern well appointed cinema complex at Glenelg would be a great boost to an area that has just about everything else. Just one thing that would have made this city a better place. And there's no need to assume it couldn't have nearby car-parking like Norwood does.
However if you prefer to do your shopping, dining or entertainment elsewhere you do also have that option and there are numerous cinemas around Adelaide that are not in big enclosed centres (such as Norwood and Semaphore for example).
I'll give you Norwood, it is my favourite cinema but Semaphore? Those kind of cinemas are pretty old, small and uninviting. They don't really offer a good cinema-going experience although I will concede I haven't been to that type of cinema for a long, long time.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#185 Post by rhino » Fri May 13, 2011 12:18 pm

Wallis at Mount Barker is pretty good, with the restaurant and bar in the next building, and the end of the main stree just across the road (main street is pretty quiet after hours, though!). I tend to have a drink with friends either before or after seeing a movie there, and sometimes a meal. There's often a muso playing in the bar too.
cheers,
Rhino

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#186 Post by fishinajar » Sun May 15, 2011 8:06 am

and we all know the cinema industry is on the verge of it's next boom right?!

Why would anyone in their right mind want to stay at home in the climate controlled home with their 12foot led backlit LCD 3D TV with 7.2 surround sound system when they can go and battle for a park in Westfields "ample" carparks, and sit in a sticky seat in a cinema with the surrounding patrons lively personal and mobile phone conversations as additional entertainment? :2cents:

Aidan

#COM: | Bay Junction | $60m | 3lvls | Retail | Glenelg

#187 Post by Aidan » Mon May 16, 2011 6:03 pm

fishinajar wrote:and we all know the cinema industry is on the verge of it's next boom right?!

Why would anyone in their right mind want to stay at home in the climate controlled home with their 12foot led backlit LCD 3D TV with 7.2 surround sound system when they can go and battle for a park in Westfields "ample" carparks, and sit in a sticky seat in a cinema with the surrounding patrons lively personal and mobile phone conversations as additional entertainment? :2cents:
Those of us without 12ft 3D TVs in climate controlled homes do go to cinemas... and don't hear any mobile phone conversations there.

But even for those who do have the best home cinema systems, there are still two good reasons to go to out to the cinema: to see the latest films that aren't available on BluRay, and to see films on the much bigger screen - though to really get people out of their houses we really need an IMAX cinema.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Nathan

#188 Post by Nathan » Mon May 16, 2011 6:29 pm

Aidan wrote:
fishinajar wrote:and we all know the cinema industry is on the verge of it's next boom right?!

Those of us without 12ft 3D TVs in climate controlled homes do go to cinemas... and don't hear any mobile phone conversations there.

But even for those who do have the best home cinema systems, there are still two good reasons to go to out to the cinema: to see the latest films that aren't available on BluRay, and to see films on the much bigger screen - though to really get people out of their houses we really need an IMAX cinema.
Really? IMAX?

Look how well the last one did. I think most people go once, for the novelty, but there's really not much reason for people to go regularly.

There's something to be said about going to a proper cinema though. A good cinema offers a degree of curation, picking a selection of films that they think deserve to be shown - although it requires someone who actually cares about film to do it (so obviously not Greaten Union/Event, Hoyts, Wallis etc.). I much prefer going to Palace Nova or Mercury over watching something on an LCD TV.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#189 Post by crawf » Mon May 16, 2011 11:00 pm

3D movies are now more mainstream compared to years ago, so I reckon an IMAX cinema would be successful here in Adelaide.

Omicron

#190 Post by Omicron » Mon May 16, 2011 11:10 pm

I, um, can't think of anything less interesting than going to the movies. Perhaps right at the opening of a new complex when I could watch the paint on the walls dry, or the pile in the carpet settle, but beyond that......

rhino

#191 Post by rhino » Tue May 17, 2011 9:45 am

Omicron wrote:I, um, can't think of anything less interesting than going to the movies. Perhaps right at the opening of a new complex when I could watch the paint on the walls dry, or the pile in the carpet settle, but beyond that......
Heh heh! Each to his own - I love going to the movies.
cheers,
Rhino

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#192 Post by baytram366 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:16 pm

A friend of mine who loves at Glenelg said that there was an article in their local Messenger saying that the cinema will be demolished? I hope this isn't true but does anyone know anymore or have a copy of this article from the last few weeks?
Baytram 366's Flickr:

www.flickr.com/photos/baytram366

Aidan

#193 Post by Aidan » Tue May 24, 2011 12:52 pm

baytram366 wrote:A friend of mine who loves at Glenelg said that there was an article in their local Messenger saying that the cinema will be demolished? I hope this isn't true but does anyone know anymore or have a copy of this article from the last few weeks?
According to the May 18 Messenger (p15) Wallis has not actually made the decision on whether or not they'll demolish the cinema, but they have advertised tenants for a 2 storey retail complex which would replace it if they do. Holdfast Bay Council had twice rejected redevelopment plans, but Wallis won an appeal in the Environment Resource & Development Court in February.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#194 Post by Wayno » Tue May 24, 2011 2:52 pm

baytram366 wrote:A friend of mine who loves at Glenelg
Freudian slip?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#195 Post by Vee » Tue May 24, 2011 7:36 pm

Interested in trying to save the Glenelg Ozone Cinema from demolition?

This cinema with a heritage application pending is a rare art deco "gem" and having so few authentic art deco buildings in South Australia, it is imperative we conserve this type of architecture for future generations.

It may be too late but, as a last ditch effort, you can sign the online petition (from the Art Deco & Modernsim Society - Adelaide).
Petition:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... inema.html