News & Developments: Glenelg

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: APP: Glenelg Cinema site, Jetty Rd | 2 level retail

#241 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:59 pm

So what you want is a bunch of art-deco styled car parks, that have a few office or apartments tacked on top?

If Glenelg is really dying, then how is there not enough parking? Are people all driving their cars down to the bay, fighting over carparks, and then vanishing once they get out of their car?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#242 Post by AtD » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Why do you want to further clog Glenelg with traffic by introducing new multi story car parks? Jetty Road is already a crawl which delays buses and trams and makes it harder for visitors to get in. And lets face it, the tram is probably the biggest source of visitors to Glenelg.

If you think multi story car parks are a good idea, take a look at the Pulteney Street end of Rundle Street. If you think developers are willing to spend money on tarting up a car park to meet your dream, then you're gonna have to keep dreaming.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#243 Post by crawf » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Glenelg is far from dying

I would say it's the opposite thanks to developments like Holdfast Marina and the Moseley Square revamp

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#244 Post by Will » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:37 pm

Observant Local wrote:Waewick
Art Deco has become Huge in Brighton/Hove in the UK. In Florida there is a city rejuvenated by a Art Deco Theme = note Theme - does note have to be Slavish.
And in New Zealand they have done the same to celebrate Art Deco.
There is no place in South Australia uniquely showcasing Art Deco.
Norwood is successful because it has a theme of integrating heritage of a different era with modern. Successfully. Norwood Parade is Alive.
Glenelg is DEAD and DYING. Because there is no theme, no direction. A bad mix of shops. Not enough parking. And it is getting a Bad Name for Trouble,

Glenelg needs Leadership. But it ALSO needs Inspiration.
No other city in Adelaide has the wonderful array of Art Deco facades as Glenelg.
Elsewhere today I just read a great inspiring idea for a real development on the site.
Ground = shops integrated with the Junction
first floor = medical
next four floors = parking
next two floors = offices
final three floors quality appartments overlooking the Pat to the North and the Hills to the East and ALL built while RETAINING the Heritage Art Deco South Facade.
Such a development is the type that would kick start Glenelg.

And in the Partridge Street Jetty Road area that is currently flat earth behind the shops - build another Art Deco THEMED building
Ground floor = shops and outdoor dining
Next four floors = parking
Next two floors = professional rooms
Next three floors = quality appartments
Top Floor = a function centre with a quality restaurant and training centre

These are real developments that would kick start some real action in Glenelg and still respect and overlook the Art Deco Cinema facade
I am NOT against development.
I am AGAINST Developmental sponsored VANDALISM and short term thinking for GREED ALONE
I am all for retaining original facades, but don't you think it is a little ersatz to be building new buildings in the art-deco style in the year 2011?

Waewick

#245 Post by Waewick » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:23 pm

I agree

Art Deco is great, for the 50's

[Shuz]

#246 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:00 pm

crawf wrote:Glenelg is far from dying

I would say it's the opposite thanks to developments like Holdfast Marina and the Moseley Square revamp
Crawf, I appreciate your somewhat far-fetched optimism at times, but this is taking it a little too far. The Marina is a good 10 years old now, and the square, 5.

The only development to have happened in Glenelg recently is the Bay Junction centre. Hardly exciting news. Glenelg is dead as dead can be.

Still pissed off about the decision to demolish the Cinema. How hard is it to preserve even just the facade, and build a new shopping centre behind it?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Observant Local
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#247 Post by Observant Local » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:35 pm

the reason glenelg is dying and the reason shops are closing is because it is forgetting the real customers who have money to spend. And it is NOT providing the type of retail experience with convenient parking and more Quality places for heathly sea food meals in Jetty Road (yes I have tried all the places for seafood and none of them deserve a second visit).
There is a lack of parking as so many people park at Glenelg and hop on the Tram to the city. Watch all the people who park in Coles carpark - they get out their swim gear and walk to the beach. Then come back, drive off, and spend nothing at Glenelg.
What is there for anyone wanting to spend on something decent? I go to Hyde Park or Norwood. Only the beach keeps me at Glenelg.
Where do I go for a quality wedding present? Quality furniture and furnishings? Nice Outdoor dining? Not Jetty Road Glenelg.
Instead Glenelg tries to attract quantity not quality to Jetty Road. People with little to spend. Look at the paucity of quality shops.
Then in the evening Glenelg attracts the boozed up yobbos who cause trouble and spend only in the pubs. In the morning the locals clean up the smashed bottles and clean off the grafitti.. The Abysmal replacement development proposed for the Wallis site is a joke.

Observant Local
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#248 Post by Observant Local » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Waewick your ignorance of Architectural history and the Art Deco style's influence and the correct time period for Art Deco just underlines how little you know about Good Design and the Beauty of Art Deco and Modernism.

Omicron

#249 Post by Omicron » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:28 pm

Original Art Deco and Streamline Moderne = Good.

Ghastly, half-hearted 2011 attempts at recreating either = Bad.

In Mr. Local's defense, I don't think Glenelg is anywhere near as healthy as it has been in the past, but it's probably not a coincidence that the high point occurred more or less at the top of the market through '06-'07, when just about every Tom, Dick and Harry had a wallet full of dollars and limited sense ( :wink: ). Why on earth the Holdfast Council does absolutely everything within its power to limit development these days to horrendous excreboxes thrust upon society by Taplins, I have no idea. It doesn't help that Glenelg is populated by hypocrites in multi-storey apartment blocks demanding a ban on apartment blocks, either.

Observant Local
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#250 Post by Observant Local » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:20 am

hear hear Omicron. Agree with all you say on Taplin's forgettable ?contribution?? To Glenelg with the Junction Remand Centre corner Brighton Rd and Jetty Rd Glenelg. If that's ''good design'' then OMG.
The ruin of Glenelg is accelerating and only those with their heads in the sand refuse to see it. Losing the ArtDeco Facade on the south side of Wallis cinema is just speeding up the decline.
My relatives from Melbourne visiting for Easter were absolutely disgusted. My current visitors from London have been taking photos of all the Art Deco in Glenelg and are shaking their heads at Holdfast Bay stupidity in not fighting harder to accomodate retaining the South side facade of the Wallis Cinema.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#251 Post by AtD » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:48 am

Observant Local wrote:There is a lack of parking as so many people park at Glenelg and hop on the Tram to the city. Watch all the people who park in Coles carpark - they get out their swim gear and walk to the beach. Then come back, drive off, and spend nothing at Glenelg.
Charge for parking. Problem solved! :mrgreen:

Take a page out of Westfield's book - 2 or 3 hours free, exorbitant prices after that.

Observant Local
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#252 Post by Observant Local » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:07 pm

:applause: I agree charge for parking.
The days of free parking anywhere are numbered. I see no problem charging for it.

Eventually I think society may even get to the alternative which is scan receipts for goods in that precinct and purchased on that day - $100 in receipts spent in that precinct = free parking for 3 hours. $200 in receipts spent in that precinct on that day = free parking for 6 hours

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#253 Post by crawf » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:30 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
crawf wrote:Glenelg is far from dying

Crawf, I appreciate your somewhat far-fetched optimism at times, but this is taking it a little too far. The Marina is a good 10 years old now, and the square, 5.

The only development to have happened in Glenelg recently is the Bay Junction centre. Hardly exciting news. Glenelg is dead as dead can be.

Still pissed off about the decision to demolish the Cinema. How hard is it to preserve even just the facade, and build a new shopping centre behind it?
Far-fetched? :roll:

Development wise, yes Glenelg is pretty much dead.

Yes those developments aren't exactly new, but they have majorly improved the seaside suburb which has attracted more visitors. You only need to go there on a warm sunny day, and it's swarming with people.

If there is one suburb that is dying here in Adelaide, it's this place

Which is a shame, it has so much potential
Last edited by crawf on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Observant Local
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#254 Post by Observant Local » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Nice Photo but it is not Glenelg
Is West Lakes suffering because it will lose the oval?
Or is Port Adelaide suffering because too many heritage places were not recylced ? So it became souless?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#255 Post by crawf » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Port Adelaide is suffering because of many things, this is despite the fanfair of the 'The Port - It's Happening' campaign and the Newport Quays development.

The Port still has plenty of heritage buildings which are perfect to be transformed into sleek warehouse-style apartments. It will happen one day...

West Lakes is fine.