[COM] Urbanest | 59/53m | 20/18lvls | Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #Approved : 140 North Terrace 2x18 levels - 53m

#46 Post by Will » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:02 pm

Mants wrote:i agree AG, it is an interesting thought.
although many of our brutalist 60s/70s buildings are seen as ugly- and i admit, i hate most of them- they still do represent a significant period of architecture in adelaide's history, and it would be a shame to see all of them demolished or renovated.
the truly beautiful cities of the world are those which have a rich combination of all periods of architecture, not just one.

look at the demolition of the exhibition building on north terrace, for example. surely a simple cost/benefit analysis would have seen its preservation a favoured option! i suppose it just seemed like an ideal location for a carpark at the time. this building represented a significant period of adelaide's settlement and development as a city.

although the current hotel is by no means as impressive as the old exhibition building, the principle still stands. who are we to say whether or not this building has no architectural merit? does the planned building hold any more merit than the current building?

:2cents:

You raise a very good point, Mants. I have read before that a building is appreaciated the most in its first 25 years as it is new and after it is around 75 years old because it is old. A building is under the greatest threat of demolition when it is between 25 and 75 years old. This is the age range of the 50s, 60s and 70s buildings which we despise today and are demolishing. I suspect if these structures reach 75 years, they will again become appreaciated, as they will be viewed as historical and worth preserving.

However in regard to the Festival City Motel, the building dates from 1904. Thus as it is 103 years old, it has reached a stage where if it was worth preserving we would know by know. The fact that it is not even listed as a local heritage place infers that it lacks any merit worth preserving.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by Will » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:22 pm

Mants wrote:
AG wrote:There are a handful buildings from the 60s and 70s era around that are great and well maintained examples of the style of architecture predominant during that period. The former AMP Building on the corner of KWS and North Terrace is one that comes to mind, along with the international style Grenfell Centre. Some of the brutalist style buildings have deteriorated in appearance over the past few years, or have been refurbished like Hooker House. Some of the buildings being constructed now or have been completed recently aren't actually all that much different in architectural style than some of the buildings constructed during the 70s, they have large blank walls or are covered in glass from top to bottom.

The building planned for the site on the corner of North Terrace and Bank Street is by no means an architectural masterpiece, but I believe it is an improvement on what currently exists there as it makes efficient use of space of a relatively small site.
i agree that the planned building makes efficient use of space. i suppose the festival motel probably isnt worth retaining.

neither the grenfell centre, nor the AMP building are really true examples of the brutalist style commonly seen during the period of their construction, although they are both excellent examples of well retained buildings from this period (perhaps the grenfell centre could do with a lick of paint though!)

the former ANZ building on grenfell street, just nextdoor to the grenfell centre, is one of adelaide's more impressive brutalist buildings. if these buildings are maintained well (kept clean, etc.) they can be appreciated for the contribution they make to Adelaide's architectural history.

although, i do believe that many of these buildings do look fantastic after a bit of a revamp! one only has to look at the allegra hotel or the air apartments at eastwood. far more impressive than many buildings recently completed in the CBD, most notably flinders link and even cc2.

The former ANZ Building at 13 Grenfell Street is a historic building worth preserving, but not because it is a worthy example of a brutalist structure. The building cannot be classified as a brutalist structure, but rather it is an interesting transition style, and that is why it is worth preserving. It represents a transition from the modern and brutalist styles of the 1960s and 1970s to the postmodern styles of the 1980s. Although it cannot be classified as a postmodern style as such, it includes many decorative features in the façade which would be classified as unnecesarry adornments in the modern and brutalist styles. The most significant of which is the building's mansard roof, which is adapted from a French classical style.

According tot he Royal Australian Institute of Architects, Adelaide has 1 of the most significant brutalist structures in all of Australia. This building is regarded as masterpieces of the brutalist style.

Morgue and Forensic Science centre:

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=mor ... -australia

Other worthy examples, include the Colonel Light Centre, Wakefiled House and the SA Police station (corner of Wakefiled Street and Gawler Place). Another notable exponent was the former Adelaide House, which was stripped of its brutalist façade, becoming the Rendeszvous Allegra Hotel.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#48 Post by Mants » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:50 pm

thankyou for your insight Will.

i really dislike many of adelaide's brutalist buildings, but i can appreciate them because brutalism has been quite a significant style of architecture in Adelaide's development and growth. unfortunately adelaide's brutalist structures are so much more prominent today. the state bank collapse halted the construction of buildings of a later architectural period.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by Will » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:36 am

Mants wrote:thankyou for your insight Will.

i really dislike many of adelaide's brutalist buildings, but i can appreciate them because brutalism has been quite a significant style of architecture in Adelaide's development and growth. unfortunately adelaide's brutalist structures are so much more prominent today. the state bank collapse halted the construction of buildings of a later architectural period.
Another factor is that up until the early 1990's clients preferred height solutions instead of the space solutions of today. What I mean is that in the past, clients were more interested in building higher building's as opposed to today where corporate clients prefer larger floor plates. This has resulted in shorter and stumpier buildings, and campus style developments. So although plenty is happening in Adelaide, to the un-informed it may appear that nothing ever changes because if you look at our top 25 highest buildings, there is only 1 addition from this decade at City Central Tower 1.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#50 Post by omada » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:57 am

On the subject of brutalist buildings, can someone tell me if some Flinders Uni's buildings from the 60's are examples?

Lots of exposed concrete, big massive shapes.. I quite like that

I couldn't find any photos unfortunately..

urban
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by urban » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:14 am

Unfortunately most of Adelaide's medium to high rise developments (including those at Adelaide Uni) are just stripped back (dumbed down) modernist structures. Adelaide's only true brutalist building is the forensic science centre mentioned earlier in the thread. The union buildings at Adelaide Uni arose from a peculiarly Australian school of modernist design.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #Approved: 140 North Terrace - 2 x 53m, 18 lvl Apartments

#52 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:40 pm

Amended application before the ACC to amend the southern most tower to 19 levels 57m.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#53 Post by Ho Really » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:10 pm

Ben wrote:Amended application before the ACC to amend the southern most tower to 19 levels 57m.
Mmmh an extra floor! Because of the incline of Bank Street this south tower should be substantially higher...right?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

skyliner

#54 Post by skyliner » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:24 pm

The northen face of the northern twoer (facing the railway stn. ecit/entry) would be a great place to put op a big led screen to show news/sports, Adevertising of Adelaide , music clips etc all day - what a spot - more money for the bank St owner, a central meeting point on Nth Tce, easy visability, you get a big viewing crowd/cross section all day . what a bonanza for Adelaide! Could probably see it from the river in certain locations (if big enough).

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE[/b]
Jack.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by Wayno » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:28 pm

skyliner wrote:The northen face of the northern twoer (facing the railway stn. ecit/entry) would be a great place to put op a big led screen to show news/sports, Adevertising of Adelaide , music clips etc all day - what a spot - more money for the bank St owner, a central meeting point on Nth Tce, easy visability, you get a big viewing crowd/cross section all day . what a bonanza for Adelaide! Could probably see it from the river in certain locations (if big enough).
any way you can make this happen? i'd certainly be impressed!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

skyliner

#56 Post by skyliner » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:39 pm

What might assist is to compose a letter of suggestion with supporting ideas to the owners/relevant people from SA. (based on the template recently used by Shuz for another project). No support here would tend to defeat the idea immediately IMO. Please comment guys.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by Wayno » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:59 am

skyliner wrote:What might assist is to compose a letter of suggestion with supporting ideas to the owners/relevant people from SA. (based on the template recently used by Shuz for another project). No support here would tend to defeat the idea immediately IMO. Please comment guys.

skyliner, do you want to throw a draft together? don't want to put you on the spot as maybe your idea was just a general/random thought (i know i have them all the time :) ). But if you are serious it should be a simple 1-2 page letter to the Developers, and yep follow shuz's template. Can't hurt.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

skyliner

#58 Post by skyliner » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:46 pm

Thanks Wayno. I'll do it if I believe it truely represents SA Any other comments - worthwhile ???

Jack.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#59 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:14 pm

From the Messenger:
Time to say goodbye

Chris Day

23Apr08

CITY restaurant Parlamento a favoured haunt of international celebrities and local politicians is closing after 20 years.

The building that houses the popular Italian eatery, at the corner of North Tce and Bank St, is being demolished to make way for a student apartment complex.

Parlamento owners Raffaele Simeone and Danny Rattenni confirmed their restaurant was closing although they don't have a final date other than the "foreseeable future".

The pair has opted against relocating and still hoped to return to the site in 20 months or so, as part of the new development.

"We're sad about it but it's out of our hands," Mr Simeone said. "Nothing is forever in life and we'll do all we can to negotiate to come back. We don't want to leave, we love it here."

Despite the pending closure, Mr Simeone was in good spirits last week, planning a big farewell bash, which he has dubbed "The Last Zuppa" - borrowing the Italian word for soup.

Head chef Gabriele Bibbo and his team have been forewarned to "cook up everything in the kitchen" on the night and the $90 a head cost would include an open bar.

"It's all got to be drunk that night," Mr Simeone said.

Liberal MP and former treasurer Rob Lucas said the closure was "a bloody tragedy". "There would have been thousands of parliamentary meetings there over the years the stories those walls could tell," he said. "When we were in government, a lot of the discussions I had with independent (MPs) on electricity privatisation were had at Parlamento you know an arm twist or two."

He said spies on all sides of politics often cast a stray eye through the restaurant's windows. "You'd see a Labor MP talking to a lobbyist or a unionist and think 'oh yeah, something is up there'."

Mr Simeone is contemplating other work during the enforced break perhaps returning to real estate and part-time waitering. "I'll probably go and throw rocks at the beach and grow a beard ... (but) I still love being with people," he joked.

Omicron

#60 Post by Omicron » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:55 pm

I shall miss you, Parlamento. Please come back!

......SenAd gathering for the last night of trade - eat all the food and drink all the wine!