[CAN] 51 Pirie Street | 94m | 21 Levels | Hyatt

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

[CAN] Re: 51 Pirie Street | 94m | 21 Levels | Hyatt

#556 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:43 pm

Can’t imagine offices being viable at this point, seems an unlikely spot for apartments and as the article states, they can’t go with another hotel operator for a period. So unless they sell the site asap, it seems likely it’ll continue to sit empty for a few years longer at least.

So another prime site vacant to go along with Gawler chambers, the Gawler Plc site close by and the Grenfell / King William St development. Not a great look for the CBD.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#557 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:46 pm

Dvious wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:24 pm
The fact council approved the demolition of the original building in the previous scheme is disgusting. Glad to see this one not go ahead. Too many beautiful buildings have been lost in this city.
The original building doesn't exist, all that's left is the facade on Pirie St, and it's been that way for a long time. The brutalist building next door has more remaining heritage value (as the last of it's style build in Adelaide)

ChillyPhilly

#558 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Aug 20, 2024 11:52 pm

I'd quite like to see this become residential as this stretch of Pirie Street can be quite dead after business hours. More people would mean more support for the Golden Wattle.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#559 Post by cmet » Wed Aug 21, 2024 12:22 am

Cheering this falling over is bizarre. Yay we have a vacant butchered old building on absolute prime land for the foreseeable future.

Tranny1990
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#560 Post by Tranny1990 » Wed Sep 04, 2024 11:57 am

@cmet the original renders included the existing local heritage-listed bank building. This city has lost too much heritage, and it doesn't need to lose any more for a square glass tower.

abc
Legendary Member!

#561 Post by abc » Wed Sep 04, 2024 12:52 pm

cmet wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2024 12:22 am
Cheering this falling over is bizarre. Yay we have a vacant butchered old building on absolute prime land for the foreseeable future.
all too common in Adelaide CBD lately

a lot of KW street, particularly KW south looks like a shanty town with shop front after shop front vacant and derelict on both sides
Adelaide is the best location in Australia to shoot a drama set in the 60s

Patrick_27

#562 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:04 pm

cmet wrote:
Not bizarre, just asserting our expectations. This site has been empty for what, 15/20-years? I'd rather it stay vacant just a little bit longer to ensure we get an outcome worthy of the site, much like the outcome with 88 O'Connell. We've done the thing of pushing the ceiling on the average standard height for new builds in Adelaide's CBD, now it's time to revert back to some quality. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't want to see another tall building of the same standard as Adelaidean built, and the most recent plans this site had gave off the same tacky vibe. We might not have the economic drive of Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane, but we shouldn't be the dumping ground for property developers' second-rate building designs and low-cost builds.

On the topic of the heritage value of this site, whilst previously over the years I have advocated on here for retaining the facade of the existing building, further research has had me arrive at the same conclusion as many others on here, the facade doesn't really have much left of what it originally was. Unless the developer was going to bring some of that back with its retention, I'd think it'd be better off coming down. Frankly, many of Adelaide's grandest buildings worth saving, have either been saved or are long gone. Saving a few mere two/three story shopfronts doesn't really do much to preserve the historic character of a town unless it's done across the board. I feel that Adelaide's opportunity to do this was in the 60s/70s and the powers that be at the time failed us. A few of these buildings lost that come to mind, some more obvious than others... Gibsons later Foys/Grand Central Hotel (corner Pultney/Rundle Street(s), Jubilee Exhibition Building, ANZ Bank building (corner KWS/Currie Street(s), Myer Emporium and Birks (Rundle Mall), Harris Scarf (Rundle Mall and Grenfell Streets), Bowman Building/Arcade (KWS) just to name a few.
Last edited by Patrick_27 on Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#563 Post by gnrc_louis » Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:28 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:04 pm
cmet wrote:
Not bizarre, just asserting our expectations. This site has been empty for what, 15/20-years? I'd rather it stay vacant just a little bit longer to ensure we get an outcome worthy of the site, much like the outcome with 88 O'Connell. We've done the thing of pushing the ceiling on the average standard height for new builds in Adelaide's CBD, now it's time to revert back to some quality. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't want to see another tall building of the same standard as Adelaidean built, and the most recent plans this site had gave off the same tacky vibe. We might not have the economic drive of Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane, but we shouldn't be the dumping ground for property developers' second-rate building designs and low-cost builds.

On the topic of the heritage value of this site, whilst previously over the years I have advocated on here for retaining the facade of the existing building, further research has had me arrive at the same conclusion as many others on here, the facade doesn't really have much left of what it originally was. Unless the developer was going to bring some of that back with its retention, I'd think it'd be better off coming down. Frankly, many of Adelaide's grandest buildings worth saving, have either been saved or are long gone. Saving a few mere two/three story shopfronts doesn't really do much to preserve the historic character of a town unless it's done across the board. I feel that Adelaide's opportunity to do this was in the 60s/70s and the powers that be at the time failed us. A few of these buildings lost that come to mind, some more obvious than others... Gibsons later Foys/Grand Central Hotel (corner Pultney/Rundle Street(s), Jubilee Exhibition Building, ANZ Bank building (corner KWS/Currie Street(s), Myer Emporium (Rundle Mall), Harris Scarf (Rundle Mall and Grenfell Streets), Bowman Building/Arcade (KWS) just to name a few.
I doubt the previous design would've been "low-cost" considering it was going to be a Hyatt. Uninspiring maybe, but I imagine the quality would have been comparable to the new Marriot at the GPO site.

Patrick_27

#564 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:41 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:28 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:04 pm
cmet wrote:

On the topic of the heritage value of this site, whilst previously over the years I have advocated on here for retaining the facade of the existing building, further research has had me arrive at the same conclusion as many others on here, the facade doesn't really have much left of what it originally was. Unless the developer was going to bring some of that back with its retention, I'd think it'd be better off coming down. Frankly, many of Adelaide's grandest buildings worth saving, have either been saved or are long gone. Saving a few mere two/three story shopfronts doesn't really do much to preserve the historic character of a town unless it's done across the board. I feel that Adelaide's opportunity to do this was in the 60s/70s and the powers that be at the time failed us. A few of these buildings lost that come to mind, some more obvious than others... Gibsons later Foys/Grand Central Hotel (corner Pultney/Rundle Street(s), Jubilee Exhibition Building, ANZ Bank building (corner KWS/Currie Street(s), Myer Emporium (Rundle Mall), Harris Scarf (Rundle Mall and Grenfell Streets), Bowman Building/Arcade (KWS) just to name a few.
I doubt the previous design would've been "low-cost" considering it was going to be a Hyatt. Uninspiring maybe, but I imagine the quality would have been comparable to the new Marriot at the GPO site.
'Low-cost' in comparison to what they might build elsewhere in the country, but yes, also uninspiring.