[APP] 199-200 North Terrace | 85m | 20lvls | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

[APP] Re: #PRO: 199-200 North Tce | 53m | 18lvls | Student

#91 Post by adam73837 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:53 pm

There are only a few things that need to be seriously Heritage Listed in the CBD and they are: The Art Gallery, Library, precinct; the Uni Buildings; the Town Hall (because the Beatles stood there :D ); the Railway Station; and possibly Parliament House and the GPO. All the other pointless things that we Heritage List (such as the dilapidated Vic Park Grandstand) do nothing but hold back brilliant proposals like this because the ACC think that they don't 'blend in well enough'. C'mon! Let's see this project (and once the Government takes over, quite a few more) go ahead!
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#92 Post by adam73837 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:53 pm

There are only a few things that need to be seriously Heritage Listed in the CBD and they are: The Art Gallery, Library, precinct; the Uni Buildings; the Town Hall (because the Beatles stood there :D ); the Railway Station; and possibly Parliament House and the GPO. All the other pointless things that we Heritage List (such as the dilapidated Vic Park Grandstand) do nothing but hold back brilliant proposals like this because the ACC think that they don't 'blend in well enough'. C'mon! Let's see this project (and once the Government takes over, quite a few more) go ahead!
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#93 Post by frank1 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:01 pm

There are a lot of old facades and buildings that line adelaide's streets and not just north terrace and king william steet, but alot around the west end of town that give adelaide its unique character. IMO these are also important to save

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#94 Post by Will » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:51 pm

adam73837 wrote:There are only a few things that need to be seriously Heritage Listed in the CBD and they are: The Art Gallery, Library, precinct; the Uni Buildings; the Town Hall (because the Beatles stood there :D ); the Railway Station; and possibly Parliament House and the GPO. All the other pointless things that we Heritage List (such as the dilapidated Vic Park Grandstand) do nothing but hold back brilliant proposals like this because the ACC think that they don't 'blend in well enough'. C'mon! Let's see this project (and once the Government takes over, quite a few more) go ahead!
Because you are only 15 I will let you get away with such a silly statement.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#95 Post by Just build it » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:59 am

The councils comments show how out of touch I am with the way the planning department views design. IMHO the glass wall on render No.1 actually makes the building look less 'heavy', especially in the night shot. To me stacked concrete balconies look 'heavy', and a glass wall looks 'light'. I also think in reality the curve on design No.2 would draw the eye towards its centre, giving the impression of the buildings mass being pulled back from the street into the block thus making it look 'lighter'. Without the curve feature, the plain stacked balconies do nothing but make it a sheer vertical wall which looks 'heavy'.

But what do I know? You have to feel empathy for developers because it must be crushing to work on these projects for a year before putting them on the table at the ACC and being told,

"Hmmm, the simple glass wall.....NO......and the simple curve feature..............NO. Come back with something duller please." :roll:

Still, for some strange reason I think there's a chance of approval. I reckon our Lord Mayor and Clr.Yarwood would like them. :mrgreen:

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#96 Post by Omicron » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:15 pm

how_good_is_he wrote:100% correct Will. I am good mates with the team involved and below are some of the direct written comments from the ACC planner to the architects.
[Option 1]
At any rate, and as discussed, the central fixed glass element is heavy and needs to be reconsidered.
[Option 2]
The curved 'framing element' to the North Terrace façade I think is too heavy a feature and adds to the encroaching character of the building - which I think is something we are keen to avoid.
Oh, bosh.

I keep trying to devise a thoughtful and crafted response, but in lieu of thought or well-craftedness placed into the above statements, my brain is refusing to offer any reply beyond 'bosh'.

Let's just hope that they have been taken out of context somewhat, and that good sense and sound architectural arguments prevail. As some have pointed out, we're probably getting ahead of ourselves a bit in that either design is yet to be officially assessed by the relevant acronym (DAC, DAP, DDT, TNT, OMG etc.), and hence our suspicions of impending doom are just those - suspicions.

Of course, I submit such rational optimism with an important disclaimer: bosh.

Cint
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#97 Post by Cint » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:01 pm

Walking past the site today, I noticed the building to the west has not aged gracefully. Hopefully it receives a restoration, or we may end up with a large contrast of new and old within a few steps.

I like both designs, and it will be nice to see the current building replaced, as its only current use seems to be a public toilet on Saturday nights...

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#98 Post by SRW » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:23 pm

Ho Really wrote: I am also perplexed about this building sticking out onto the footpath so much. Where is the boundary on North Terrace? That widened footpath looks good but it is deceiving!
This confused me too. If you look back to the photos on pages 2 and 3 of this thread, I think we can put it down somewhat to Gallerie Arcade being set back further from the bound. What I can't tell from the renders is whether it is flush (overhang aside) with the building to the west, or whether it sticks out even further.
Keep Adelaide Weird

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#99 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:43 pm

Can someone explain to me what's so terrible about "overhang" (besides in regards to the obesity epidemic :P)

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#100 Post by how_good_is_he » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:42 am

The new building is flush with the building to the West. The balconies are the only overhang.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#101 Post by Matt » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:15 pm

Number 2 is GREAT.

"Encroaching character of the building".
Give me a f-cking break. Some "encroaching character" is exactly what the city needs.

Buildings with designs as stunning as that are welcome to "encroach" all they like on most of the stale piles of shit going up at present. This best not end up another IPad or Santos.

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#102 Post by Joely » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Wont the enchroaching balconies benefit the footpath by adding some shelter for when you get caught in the rain?

On another note, I'm so sick of people saying there is a theme for North Terrace. The northern side maybe but there is no theme for the southern side. It's drab, outdated and needs a complete overhaul. They can start by firstly cleaning up some of the old buildings which are filthy and secondly by building this!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#103 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:59 pm

Joely wrote:
Professor wrote:When a "statement" building like this one comes along, one that announces that Adelaide is not a retirement home after all, they refuse it.
Hold your horses, it hasn't been refused yet. We have to wait and see.

Everything else you said I agree with. There is no theme for the southern side of North Terrace. It's drab, outdated and needs a complete overhaul. They can start by firstly cleaning up some of the old buildings which are filthy and secondly by building this!
To be honest majority of the southern side of North Terrace isn't that bad. Its not really drab, most of it has character.

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#104 Post by Joely » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:02 pm

Haha sorry crawf. I changed my post a bit after you quoted it, not a big deal. Yea I guess it isn't that drab, but I certainly wouldn't say it has any sort of theme. I welcome modern striking buildings to help offset the beauty of the heritage ones and bring the area to life. Mediocre buildings tend to do more harm than good to heritage ones by blending in too much and not allowing the architecture to stand out, turning the area into a monotonous, beige streetscape.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#105 Post by Mants » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:16 am

hmmm, option 2 looks a bit like dolphin towers on the Gold Coast.